- 2½ cups milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup white flour
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Fontina cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated Provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (coarse grained)
- ¼ cup dry sherry or ¼ cup wine, of your choice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sweet peas
- ½ tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups Voodoo Farm chicken breast
- 1 pound box medium penne pasta
For the Cheese Sauce:
In a small saucepan, heat the milk on low until steaming, but don’t let it boil or form a skin. While the milk heats, melt the butter in a heavy 2-quart saucepan on low heat. Add the flour to the 2-quart saucepan and whisk with butter to form a smooth roux. Continue to cook and whisk for 3 to 4 minutes to thoroughly cook the flour. Increase heat to medium, and whisk the hot milk into the roux in a thin, steady stream. Continue to cook until the sauce is smooth and thickened slightly. Don’t stop whisking, since cheese sauces can burn in an instant. Lower the heat, add the cheeses, mustard, and sherry or wine, and whisk until the cheeses melt. Using a double boiler or a heat diffuser, gently cook on very low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sweet peas and red pepper flakes and stir. Add salt to taste.
For the Chicken and Pasta:
Grill two Voodoo Farm chicken breasts, then chop into bite-size pieces. Cook pasta in salted water and then drain. Transfer pasta to deep serving dish. Add grilled chopped chicken breast and stir.
Add cheese sauce and stir. Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese, salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
Courtesy Blairstown Inn