- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed (as described in text above)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
To make this pesto more robust, add 1/3 cup pine nuts to the food processor. With added cream and seasoning, it’s also perfect as a warm soup. It is not thick, but loose and light.
- Boil water, and cook asparagus for 10 minutes. (Save the asparagus cooking water and ends or peels for Asparagus Stock).
- Reserving the cooking water, drain the asparagus.
- Place the asparagus in a food processor along with 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water and the garlic.
- Add the pine nuts, if using, the oil, lemon juice, and salt to taste and pulse to combine. If necessary, add a bit more cooking water to get a smooth pesto.
- The asparagus pesto holds in the freezer for 8 to 12 months.
- Add salt and pepper as you use the pesto (seasoning loses its oomph when frozen).