- Vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh spinach (optional), roughly chopped
- 4 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock
- 3 to 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Croutons or bite-size pieces of crusty bread (optional)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and parsley, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until the onions are golden but not brown. Add the spinach and, after a quick sauté, pour in the broth and bring it to a boil.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with 1 tablespoon of the cheese.
Drizzle the egg mixture into the broth while stirring the broth gently with a fork to form thin strands of egg, about 1 minute.
Ladle the soup into individual bowls. Add croutons or crusty bread, if using. Finish with the remaining Parmesan and enjoy.
About this recipe
Courtesy of Claudette Herring and Lauren Phillips, co-owners of Via 45 in Red Bank