- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 16-ounce jar tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups fresh okra, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Hot-pepper sauce, to taste
- Cooked couscous
Prepare spice paste by combining ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until the mixture forms a paste.
Combine sweet potatoes, chickpeas, broth, tomato sauce, okra and spice paste in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Serve stew over couscous with hot-pepper sauce.
Adapted from 101 Best Vegan Foods