- 1 and 1⁄2 pounds ground turkey
- olive oil (enough to coat pan)
- 4 cups high-fiber vegetables (such as shredded cabbage)
- 2 cans preferred beans, drained (omit for a low-carb option)
- 1 jar of tomato sauce (check that it contains no added sugar)
- 1 jar of salsa (check that it contains no added sugar)
- broth or water (as needed, for consistency)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt (to taste)
Place enough olive oil in a soup pot to coat the bottom. On medium heat, brown the ground turkey. Add the vegetables and beans.
Add the jar of salsa and the jar of tomato sauce, after reading the labels to make sure there is no form of sugar or corn syrup in them. Depending on the amount of liquid in the salsa, you will need to add some water.
Add a tablespoon of chili powder, or to taste. Add salt to taste, if it is not restricted for you. Let it simmer until the water steams off and it is the consistency you like, about a half hour.
In the ideal world, your ingredients would be organic and fresh. This is not the ideal world. Follow the Suppers principle of nutritional harm reduction and use the highest-quality ingredients you can without stressing over it.