- 1 pound dried Great Northern or cannellini beans
- 4 cups plus 1 gallon water, divided use
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ½ pound small elbow or ditalini pasta
- 6 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- About 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Presoak beans overnight in 4 cups of water. Drain soaked beans through a colander and add to large soup pot with 1 gallon of fresh water. Bring to boil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
Chop garlic, celery, tomato and basil. Set basil aside. Add garlic, celery, tomato, salt and pepper to boiling water. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes.
While soup is cooking, cook pasta to al dente, following package directions. Drain, cover and set aside.
When beans have softened, add pasta. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 5 to 10 minutes more.
Turn off heat. Leave pot on burner for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot, with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of chopped basil.
Courtesy Antimo Iovine, Antimo’s Italian Kitchen, Hopewell